Monday, January 17, 2011

{Get To Know Us Monday} Dan Isayev

Good morning! We hope you had a great weekend!
This morning, we'll get to know Dan Isayev. Dan is our primary school dance DJ.
Becky: Where are you from?
Dan: I grew up in the Somerton area of Philadelphia. I attended Baldi Middle school on Verree Road then William Tennent for high school.

B: Do you have a "day"? job?
D: My day job is being a student. I am a Biology major at Rider University.

B: What is your favorite type of music? Why?
D: I have an extremely eclectic taste in music. I believe that music is truly the strongest aspect of life, which can captivate feeling and emotion. So the music I listen to is solely based on what type of mood I am feeling that day or perhaps what activity I am involved in while I listen. One day I'll be listening to Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder and Ain't No stopping us - Mcfadden and Whitehead. The next I could possibly be getting into some classical piano by Sergei Rachmaninov or Fredrick Chopin. Then I could get into some current hip-hop music by artists such as Kayne West, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem and Common. I could also transition into some newer genres of music such as Drum N Bass, Dubstep and Trance. Some artists include ATB, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5 (pronounced dead-mouse) and Steven Angello. I listen to all sorts of jazz, contemporary as well as really modern fusion jazz, such played by the band Soulive. Bare with me, but I also like to listen to Phish, 311, Sublime, Kaskade, Bob Marley, The Gorillaz, Linkin Park, De La Soul, Dave Matthews, and of course other fellow Deejays, music producers and musicians. Music is a large part of my life and I could not possibly imagine humanity without it.

B: How did you get into DJing?
D: I got into DJing at the age of 13 when I coincidentally sat across from then unbeknownst to me an owner of an entertainment company. It was my cousins 25th birthday and I was obviously the youngest person there. So of course in an atmosphere full of adults a little kid sitting at the table might be somewhat awkward. However, my interaction with the other guests made them not only comfortable but extremely amused. My calm, mature, however playful demeanor caught the eye of that owner and as the night began to wind down, he offered me his business card and the chance to work for him. That was the beginning.

B: What's your favorite thing about DJing?
D: At the end of the night, when everything is said and done - I love that feeling of accomplishment. That feeling like "Wow, I just made that party happen. I made it a success."

B: What did you want to be when you grew up? Is it still an option?
D: I am currently in school for what I wanted to do as a child. Interestingly enough - I wanted to be a dentist. It might sound a little corny, but I just like to make people smile. It is still an option for me. The last thing I have to do is take the DAT (Dental Aptitude Test) and then I will apply.

B: What's your favorite type of event to DJ, why?
D: I don't necessarily have a favorite type of event to DJ. I enjoy DJing all events, even the really strange ones. I like the different individual tasks and challenges each event has to offer.

B: What are your favorite things to do/hobbies?
D: Playing the piano and learning new instruments in general. I am working on playing the drums and the violin. Snowboarding, skydiving and meeting new and interesting people.
B: How long have you been a DJ?
D: Almost 8 years.
Make sure to check back every Monday for another Q&A. If you have anything you'd like to know about us, leave a comment with your question, post it on our Facebook page or email it in to beckyd@synergeticsounds.com.

No comments: