Monday, May 9, 2011

We're not Emcees

Don’t get me wrong, we certainly handle all of the “emcee duties” at every event we work, but when it comes down to it, we are DJs, not DJ/MC/Dancers/Entertainment Director/whatever else you wanna call us! In fact, in the 15 years I have been doing this, I have never once had a prospective client call and say they wanted to hire us because we are such great “emcees.” NEVER. They call because the DJ's skills were incredible.

This isn’t to say that our DJs aren’t good on the microphone. They are very good. They speak clear, have nice voices and know not to talk a lot. We will certainly handle all of the introductions, toasts, announcements and other formalities, but we won’t make a big deal about it. We simply keep it professional and make sure everybody knows what is going on. I think many companies today tend to put an emphasis on that “emcee” part.

I don’t think you want to hear us on the microphone all night. We kind of feel like you would rather have an exceptional DJ who absolutely packs your dance floor with incredible programming and creative mixes and is good on the microphone. Versus a person who is impeccable on the microphone and a mediocre DJ. Yeah, I can’t see that being too fun of a party. When is the last time you heard someone say, “wow, I want to hire that guy for my wedding because he is just an amazing emcee?”

Even seeing the word “emcee” scares me. I think of a DJ who is going to be on the dance floor teaching a new dance. Or worse yet, a DJ who is going to be in all of your photographs because he is on the dance floor letting people sing in the microphone! Really?

For the most part, we stay quiet on the microphone. You are hiring us to spin a wedding that you and your guests will talk about for years to come. Pretty much like the one I did on Saturday night for Jennifer and Jason at Northampton Valley Country Club. I swear, after the blessing and toast, I said about three things - but I didn’t need to say much. I played the right music at the right time and the dance floor was packed. I mixed in a few new tracks too like, Jay Sean’s “Hit the lights,” and Pitbull’s “Give me everything.” But the party pretty much took off with “Don’t stop till you get enough” by MJ.

Until the next time…

-Jason

No comments: