Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Inspiration

I’m not going to lie, I get bored easily with music. And I’m pretty sure that the people I spin for would be bored if I was exclusively playing music from 10 years ago. I get payed to play good, energized music, so it is my job to find new songs that go with the classic songs I play - this isn't always easy.

Most of the music out today is horrible. It lasts for a few weeks and then disappears. And the radio stations play the same thing over and over again. So where does a DJ find his/her inspiration for different sets to play?

For me, it is pretty simple. I can find inspiration in anything that has a beat. I have found new ideas for mixes at the mall, at a play, at a concert - anywhere I hear music is a chance for me to get creative. Just this past weekend, while I was watching TV and listening to some commercials, I found the following dinner set:

- Three little birds by Bob Marley
- Africa by Toto
- Umbrella by Rihanna

So this weekend, I am going to give it a shot and see how the crowd reacts. I’m thinking they are going to like this one.

I also listen to 100’s of songs a month. This comes from my old record pool days when you HAD to do this to still be in the pool. Some can be older songs, but for the most part, I’m trying to find music that makes the event I’m spinning become electric. Trying to find the perfect mix for 4 hours - not just 4 hot songs, but 40 - all mixed in a particular order that makes everybody tell you, “seriously, you have the best DJ I have heard!”

I will keep you posted on some of the other mixes I do and where I get the inspiration from.

-Jason

No comments: