Friday, July 1, 2011

Day of reception ritual





Friday, July 1, 2011
DJ – Patrick O’Brien
7:00 a.m.

Day of reception ritual.

Yawn, Stretch, get out of bed! Coffee brewing and my son Danny is eating his breakfast. I sit in my chair, turn on my computer and begin to review the packet for my wedding this evening. I have reviewed it before but I always like to look at it several times, especially the day of the reception. I go over the details and start to think about the time I have to arrive at the venue, how long it will take me to set up and about the music I will be playing. I check out the playlists of the other DJ’s at Synergetic. A playlist is a list of music the DJ’s played at their wedding. It is a good way to share “sets” and song mix ideas. It keeps me on my toes with what music I play at each reception. I don’t get stagnant and I am always impressed with what I see each week.

The packet for this evening’s reception has a request for a certain style of music. I start to think about when I am going to play it. In addition, it has a “no play” list. The packet allows the couple to outline the introductions, music and flow to the evening. They have gone to great lengths working with us, the venue, wedding planners, and photographers to prepare for the day’s events. The Synergetic office team (Matt, Kelly, Mike, Jenna & Nikki) have communicated this information to me and it is my job to review it thoroughly and ask questions if I have them.

Well for now I am digesting all the information and formulating an awesome music set list in my head. I am actually very excited and now just can’t wait to get there and start mixing the music. I love my job because I get to party….at your party every weekend!

Patrick








No comments: