Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Live Bait - where it began

The very first club/bar that I DJed at was a small, up and coming spot in Olde City (Before Olde City was what it is today). It was 1998 and I was asked to DJ a Sorority party upstairs at Live Bait. At the end of the night, Frank, the owner, asked me to spin every night.

For most of you in your late 20’s and early 30’s you may remember this place. It was a blast! It has long since closed down, but I have great memories of it and still talk to some wonderful people from there. It was located in the same building that Glam was in on 2nd street. This bar was one of the places that turned Olde City into the place to be - fire blowing bar tenders, animated patrons and of course, great music!

I recently had dinner with one of the upstairs bartenders, Jamison Delles. We reminisced about the good times, and the people - and what some of them are up to today. Unfortunately, I probably DJed the best type of club/bar I will ever have the chance to spin in at the beginning of my career. If I only would have known that at 18!

And for any Eagles fan reading this, you may know Sean, a bouncer from Live Bait. He is the craziest Eagles fan in the city. He is always in pads, painted face and screaming! I grew to become good friends with him.

So here is a big shout out to Dana, Art, Palace roller skating Joe, Sean, Brandon, Frankie Jr. and Sr., Donna, Mike, Vanessa , Doogie and all the rest.

-DJ Jay Fears

No comments: