Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Up Close and Personal - The importance of a DJ's placement in the reception room

This past Saturday I walked into the beautiful Dolce Valley Forge Hotel in King of Prussia to DJ John & Jennifer Falvo’s wedding and was greeted by Katie Kienle, the hotels Catering Manager. It was the first time I had been in Dolce since the renovations and they did a marvelous job. I kept hearing about how nice the ballroom looked when the sun sets, and I finally got to experience it myself. It’s amazing the way they strategically placed the windows in the ballroom to capture the sunset.

After greeting Katie I began to unload my equipment by the “assigned” DJ table as I normally do. To my surprise I was placed all the way in the corner, which was a far distance from the dance floor. I knew logistically I was fine, being able to run the speakers to the dance floor, but my concern was being able to read the crowd and feel their energy during dancing.

To me, one of the most important aspects of being a DJ is experiencing each song with the crowd as the night progresses. It is nearly impossible to feel their energy when we’re placed so far away. Katie was gracious enough to allow me to move my table closer to the dance floor. This ultimately played a vital role in the reception because I could tell when one genre of music was working and one wasn’t. Some say that reading a crowd is counting how many people enter and exit the dance floor when a new song comes on. I personally believe that the DJ should be able to read the crowd before they leave the dance floor. At that point it’s too late.

From the first course to the last song the dance floor was packed. Thank you Katie for allowing me to move closer as it made the reception 100% better.

-Matt

No comments: