Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Synergetic Gives Back

On Monday, I was lucky enough to take part in an event that meant a lot to me. My good friend Craig Mullen approached me about the Baseball Extravaganza The Andrew Farrell Spirit of Courage Fund was hosting alongside the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The Andrew Farrell Spirit of Courage Fund was established in honor of the late Andrew Farrell, a successful high school student athlete with a persona that proved to be larger than life. In April of 2004 Andrew lost his battle with Leukemia. Working with the Youth Advisory council at CHOP, we threw a party for a group of in-patients. What an experience to be a part of.


The kids enjoyed pizza, popcorn and cotton candy as other volunteers offered face painting. They also had the chance to meet the Phillies Phanatic! I will never forget the looks on their faces when he walked into the room. Dancing among the children and posing for a few pictures was more than enough to bring some happiness into the hospital.

I was very lucky to have met two of the children attending and got the chance to teach them a few things about being a DJ. It was an amazing experience to see them learn how to scratch a record and loop a song. The music brought so much joy to these children - they were the best “Celebrity DJ’s” I have ever worked with. Even though the party only lasted about 2 hours, I hope the memories and the happiness it brought the children will last forever. I know I won’t forget it.

-Matt

No comments: